3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Nice pun [ you are sticking with it ] lol

Sterling101, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  2. thunder

thunder Top Gun

LOL oh p=ss off ha

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  3. thunder

thunder Top Gun

No,the whole street was in black out mode.

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  4. I was going to ask the same question. :) My bed is 220mm or 8 1/2" square , their 8"x 8" square isn't to bad in price $8.70 CA per sheet , 8 1/2" or 220mm square takes a big jump in price around $15.00 CA per sheet. For that price difference I would lose 1/2" print area. ;)

Sterling101 likes this.
  5. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

One unusual discovery I made is my glass plate isn't exactly flat... it's warped. One side is has a slight concave to it, flip it over and its convex. What a piece of work.

I cheated the difference and made sure that I was set correctly in the center area and boom.... we're printing.

Thinking maybe the bed was warped i was able dispel that notion by reasoning if the bed was warped, both sides of the plate glass would be pulled down by the clips.... and my result would be forever high in the center.

Cuss&swear !!

The good news is I've identified my issue and can for the immediate term have a viable work around. I will need to replace this before a try a wider print.

6. Where did you look up those price? On the buildtak website its a little more money.

I think to buy 8"x8" buildtak its worthwhile if you buy a filament like PC-max from polymaker.com. It comes with a free 8"x8" buildtak

7. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

As long as you're mindful of not cutting it when you take you parts off the bed it lasts brilliantly. Been on for over 6 months now with no signs of wear. It's actually my second one as I tried auto levelling but it didn't work well on the firmware I'd built so ended up mashing the sheet up, otherwise I'd still be on my first one :)

I use brake cleaner to wipe it down from time to time just to lift any sort of residue off but I would have thought isopropyl alcohol would do the trick fine too.

Wildthing, bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  8. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That is very unusual, Tom.
    The reason people print on float glass is because it is supposed to be perfectly flat.
    Glad to hear you have it sorted.:)

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  9. Ok, thats good to know. Will see if I can get one. I really like their complete FlexPlate System too. Magnetic plate to get things off, pretty cool!

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  10. The cheapest was off of Amazon.ca . I looked at BuildTak's own website plus other Canadian distributors, Amazon was the cheapest plus if you ordered over $35.00 CA free shipping.

malukk likes this.
  11. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I got mine from Amazon. Wasn't too expensive but not too cheap either...

12. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

That was my opinion as well.... odd but it does finally make some sense with what's going on here This also explain a lot of some of anomalies I've enjoyed over the past couple weeks.

I'll have to visit the local hardware store and see what they can offer in an 300x300 tempered glass plate.

13. So you use nothing for adhesion then, well with the masking tape I don't add anything else but sometimes on large or long prints I can see the masking tape lifting from the bed but still stuck to the print. I give those a whirl.

malukk likes this.
  14. For me, I cant seem to find single sheet on Amazon. I think I can get a 20% student discount from BuildTak, hmm...

Wildthing likes this.
  15. I first found it doing a google search, I then searched Amazon just to see it the flex build plate would come up but it didn't. just different sizes of buildtak . Here is one link.

www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00MN5X2YG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

malukk likes this.
  16. The flex build plate is not available on Amazon. But think its way too expensive. Just the buildtak sheet I can see buying - probably looking at the amount of glue sticks I go thru...

Wildthing likes this.
  17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Quick Quick Amazon has Buildtak really cheap but they are only220x220 x .5mm sheets.

Wildthing and Sterling101 like this.
  18. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

Literally it sticks like the proverbial to a blanket - best thing I've ever found.

No messing with other agents to add to the build platform and it's clean as a whistle when it comes off too :)

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  19. Ordered some 8x8 sheets. :)

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  20. The cheap ones are 203mm x 203mm , the 220's take a big jump up in price. :)

Sterling101 and malukk like this.