3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I let it run. :)

malukk and bogusbandit56 like this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

No, I tried going to bed but as soon as my back is turned something silly happens.
    BUUUTTT if you get good adhesion and the cables won`t tangle and pull out and the filament won`t get fouled up and the plug doesn`t fall out of the poorly fitting socket and the board recognizes the SD card all the time and the miners don`t go on strike and a plane doesn`t crash into your local power station you should be ok providing Trump doesn`t declare war on North Korea Russia or China.D
    Oh yeah, if your printing from a computer make sure it does`nt go to sleep after 8 hours.

malukk and Wildthing like this.
  3. thunder

thunder Top Gun

LOL a few weeks ago I decided to leave the printer running and go to bed and whilst I was [ trying ] to sleep I heard a crashing sound,i jumped outa bed and went to printer only to discover that the filament was tangled on the roll and the printer filament moving mechanism had pulled the control box and filament spool onto its side,the crashing noise was the small bag of tools falling off the top on the control box lol I will NOT leave the printer running and go to bed or wherever.

Wildthing and bogusbandit56 like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

There you go then:Dlol
    A good job Trump didn`t declare war on Lincolnshire BWAHA:D

Wildthing likes this.
  5. The biggest print I have done so far took about ~40h+
    I kept it going and most of the time I was not home so did not deal with the noise. When I came back print was ready and perfect! Mind you it was a lithophane with only 3mm thickness sticking to bed. I was surprised that it stuck to the bed all the time along.

6. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

OK, I just had to google what a lithophane was for Jeff, well done and what faith in your equipment.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  7. thunder

thunder Top Gun

LOL I reckon Trump is far too busy learning how to read and write ha

bogusbandit56, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  8. If it's going to screw up whether you are there or not most of the time that print is done and you are starting over again, so you waste a few feet of filament.

malukk likes this.
  9. That was Malukk. ;) Don't you read the post thoroughly???? :D :D

bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  10. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Have done several lithophanes and a power cuts have stopped ALL of them,just very bad timing lol

bogusbandit56, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  11. Yeah, I have had those instances for 6-8h prints but I absolutely made sure that the weather is going to be good that wont cost a power cut.
    With the new prusa mk3, after a power cut it starts where it left off. So marlin does have that feature it just that we’ll have to wait for it to get that upgrade. Soon enough though.

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Talking of noise I have decided to give the printers a break today and I can now hear the thundering of the traffic again.:D

13. thunder

thunder Top Gun

Good point but you aint persuaded me to leave it running. why is life so unfair lol

Wildthing, bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  14. For that you may have yo wait another 15 years or so to go all silent electric cars

15. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

POWER CUTS?????
    Are you sure, or did you`re consumer box trip because of all the electric you are using?LOL

Wildthing, thunder and malukk like this.
  16. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

That little slight was lost in the typing, Jeff:)
    I knew it was Malukk:D

17. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

It`s obvious, God does`nt like people calling me a tight ass.:D

18. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

AAAHHH, that is why there are so many hicups on his twitter page, some one is writing them for him.

19. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I've been using BuiltTak on my bed (never had any glass, just the heated bed) after moving on from using the masking tape.

Never have any adhesion problems at all, just give it a wipe down every now and then with some brake cleaner (just because I have it) and just print directly onto it with no additions. I find that using a long thin knife and the bed warmed up I can lift an edge and the part just pulls off the bed fine.

Seems that the in thing is the borosilicate glass these days but with how good the BuildTak is I'm sticking with it :)

20. So... I have had my eye on BuildTak since a long time but havent bought it as my printer is just above 310x310x325mm. So I'll have to get the 12"x12" buildTak and its expensive! which is why I havent bought it yet.

Question for you is, how long does it last? I hear mixed reviews about it not lasting long or otherwise. People say that if you are careful with the knife used for lifting part and make sure that the nozzle doesnt drag on to it, it should last pretty good.
    What has been your experience in using it in terms of longevity?

Wildthing likes this.