3D Printed Parts

Discussion in 'Scratchbuilding!' started by Sterling101, Nov 1, 2017.

1. I think you need multi colors and while you are at it some led's would be in order too. Some fancy programing so the lights will dance to your music.
    Here I have a .01 cent rubber band doing the trick. ;)
    Looks good, I should do something like that also. :)

Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  2. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

I agree with her. Yellow red and blue are Superman`s colours:D
    I have black parachord holding my cables up, simple cheap and effective.
    If it`s good enough for Bear Grylls and Ray Mears it`s good enough for me:D

Sterling101, malukk and Wildthing like this.
  3. So plastic diamonds for presents won't do it???? ;)

Sterling101, bogusbandit56 and malukk like this.
  4. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Certainly won`t cut glass let alone the mustard.
    I don`t know if you are familiar with that saying.:)

Wildthing, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  5. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I'll send you the files over Jeff. Easy to setup and install anyway. Took about 10 minutes last night.

Wildthing and malukk like this.
  6. That looks slick. Really with just the two threaded rods on the ends there is no strength in the middle especially just being acrylic.

7. Cool. :)

I have new top motor plates for the Z motors, I had over tightened the screws a tad to much and one cracked when I was assembling it, I glued it and still holding firm just to lazy to take the machine apart. ;)

2018_0103_080321_001.JPG

bogusbandit56, Sterling101 and malukk like this.
  8. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I have yet to find a fabricated foam cutter that I liked... and this ain't it.

It looks real nice but it suffers a few issues..

1. I don't exactly know what blade this was trimmed for but I can admit that what I'm using doesn't fit right.

2. The recess hole had to be wallered out because it did not align with the screw head that holds the blade in place.

3. It's about impossible to thread the screw that holds the blade ... there should have been an access hole for that ?

4. It will cut a 45° but ... leaves a heavy track where I'm dragging along the foam edge and I won't except that for my builds.

5. Accuracy of your cut is difficult for two reasons. The foam fits in there a little too snug and it requires a very steady hand while making the swipe. To pause and go back to making the cut leads to disastrous results.

Don't bother printing this one. I'll gladly go back to a straight edge and a hand held blade.

Worth a try I guess ... but spare yourself the disappointment. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    malukk, Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  9. Sterling101

Sterling101 Top Gun

I tried one of those too - yes they really are that crappy aren't they?

I really only got a good cut after I'd cut the bottom off it so I had to align it myself so I might as well just use a knife like I normally do...

malukk, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  10. No flying, but Pop Pop Boat had it's maiden. Second run the foil was letting go and the hull was starting to fill up, no sump pump, abandon ship mate's :) I think I will try the aluminum pop can instead of foil next round.

11. TomMonton

TomMonton Administrator

I just can't help but chuckle at watching these little boats. They're nothing without that old John Deere A sound that they make put-putting around the water.

Great fun guys and once you folks work out the little kinks I'll have to print a couple for when it warms up again.

12. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Nice one Jeff.:D
    I also maidened my pop-pop but it only popped three times and popped it`s clogs and I could`nt get it to pop again.
    I coated the inside of the boiler with epoxy and used some lithograph plate aluminium, it might be too stiff or the straws are the wrong length.
    I have some tin plate pop-pops made from recycled drinks cans from India and the motors are much better than this one.

Sterling101, Wildthing and malukk like this.
  13. I printed one as well for cutting 45 on $tree foam. Doesnt work well at all. I may try to design some myself with a little more obtuse angle. Will post it if I get good results.

Sterling101, TomMonton and Wildthing like this.
  14. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

A question.
    Does silver PLA print like coloured stuff or does the temps need altering?

Sterling101 and Wildthing like this.
  15. Depends on the brand but the silver [color] PLA prints just like regular PLA. I print mine at 200C.

16. LOL, It took a couple tries to get it going, the last one I made sure it was full of water and when I tipped it over I kept the straws plugged so no water came out. Also because the tee candle was new there was very little clearance for the flame, I emptied half the wax out to up the flame. Then I blew a seal. :D :D mind you it was still chugging away.

17. Hey, bath tub can be filled with warm water. ;)

18. This is where you do those little 5 minute test pieces before you start a large print and get it tuned in.

19. Lately I have been stuck on 220C, right now I get very few stringers, closer to zero, , I get very fine hair is about it.

20. bogusbandit56

bogusbandit56 Top Gun

Thanks Malukk:)

Sterling101 and malukk like this.